Pennsylvania Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Associates at Hickory is staffed with veterinarians, veterinary nurses, and support staff 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Whether your veterinarian’s office is closed or you have been referred, we are prepared to handle all emergencies or any medical condition requiring immediate attention for your pet. No appointment is necessary and patients are seen on a triage system. We will work with you and your veterinarian to provide the best care for your loved one. Your veterinarian will always be consulted with and updated to your pet’s condition. At time of discharge a summarized report will be sent to your veterinarian so that all individuals involved are working together for your pet’s health.
Our emergency service team as access to our hospital’s full complement of state of the art equipment including (but not limited to) an in house laboratory, radiology, ultrasound, advanced imaging (CT, MRI), and endoscopy. We provide prompt and attentive service with a clear line of communication to you and your veterinarian. The emergency service is led by our emergency and critical care specialist, who is a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care. We are here to help you and your pet with any medical or surgical crisis.
Situations that may be considered an emergency:
- Traumatic injuries- fractures, bites, burns, lacerations
- Automobile accidents
- Toxicities or poison ingestions
- Known or suspected ingestion of a foreign object
- Difficulty breathing
- Vomiting, diarrhea
- Blood in urine, feces, or vomitus
- Eye injuries
- Dizziness, staggering, loss of consciousness, inability to move, weakness
- 24 hours staffing by doctors and nurses
- Testing and stabilization of medical or surgical patients
- Blood typing, cross matching, and blood or plasma transfusions
- Oxygen therapy and respiratory support
- Emergency surgery
- Full service laboratory
Helping and healing for over 75 years.
Hickory Veterinary Hospital was founded in 1956 as a team of professionals committed to excellence in animal care. Our continued goal is to deliver the highest quality of veterinary medicine to our patients.